- a useful addition to most peoples' diets
- the richest commonly available plant source of alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3's)
- the best food source of the phytochemical lignan
Flax contains 100 times the concentration of lignan as wheat bran, the next best source and is believed to have anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-cancer properties.
- is a great alternative to psyllium and is great for constipation
- Grind flax seeds in a coffee grinder for a few seconds to break them into rough pieces.
Omega-3's are the least stable of the fatty acids, so the oil turns rancid quickly if it is exposed to heat, light or air.
- Grind the seeds shortly before you eat them, and store any surplus in the freezer.
- Begin by adding 1 Tbs ground flax seeds to 8oz water at bedtime.
- (Flax expands 20 times in volume and should be taken with a generous amount of water.)
- Do this for a few days then increase to 2 Tbs for a few days.
**The goal is to have 2 to 3 bowel movements per day. **
You may consume up to 3 Tbs per day until you achieve your goal, then back down to 2-3 tsp. of ground flax seed per day.
After the initial use as described above, you should not eat more than 2-3 tsp. of ground flax seeds per day.
- Flax should be used sparingly and probably alternated with other ground seeds, like sunflower, sesame and pumpkin, which will help to balance the omega six and omega three ratios.
- Pumpkin seeds are beneficial for prostate health.
If you are consuming flax seed for the Omega-3, then fish oil is a better choice.
Choosing both gives you the fiber and the Omega-3.
I use 2-3 tsp. ground flax and 2-3 tsp. Carlson Fish Oil everyday.
Carlson Fish Oil
Fish oil and cod liver oil are a wonderful source of omega-3.
Americans consume a dangerously insufficient amount of omega-3, a fat essential to good health but only found in fish and cod liver oil and a few other foods.
Meanwhile, our intake of omega-6, another fat found in corn, soy, sunflower and other oils, is far too high.
The ideal ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 should be 1:1, but the typical ratio ranges from 20:1 to 50:1!
Aside from the benefits to cancer patients, fish oils protect your body in a number of ways:
- Helps fight and prevent heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's, arthritis, diabetes, ulcers, depression, hyperactivity and many other diseases
- Increases your energy level and ability to concentrate
Provides greater resistance to common illnesses such as flu and cold
- Helps pregnant women avoid premature births, low birth weight and other complications
- Fish oils also provide a healthier alternative to eating fresh fish, many of which are contaminated by mercury.